Wednesday, January 14, 2009

February Lady Sweater: Hmmm....

The project I should be focusing on is the February Lady Sweater. I'm working it for a class I'm teaching in, oddly enough, February.


This is the third EZ design I've worked in the past year or so. (I know, it's not strictly an EZ design, but since it was inspired by her, and adheres pretty closely to her style, for this discussion I consider it part of her oeuvre.)

I've avoided her designs in the past because she relies heavily on the raglan, and my size and shape aren't flattered by the raglan.

I also discovered, in the process of working the Baby Surprise Jacket, that her use of garter stitch does not thrill me. There are large areas of garter stitch, but it's not entirely brainless because there are increases to work be worked and counted. Love how it looks, no question, but I find that it's neither interesting enough to engage my attention, nor boring enough to be an entirely autopilot project. A straight square of garter stitch I could work while asleep, but having to keep track of increases really slows me down.

And because I'm not a raglan knitter, I'm not used to the effort that goes into working the yoke. By the time the increases are done, you've got a heck of a lot of stitches on the needle (more than 250 for even the smallest size), and because garter stitch compresses vertically, you've got a lot of rows per inch. It's felt like it's taken forever.

But I've just divided off for the sleeves, and started into the lace pattern, and I think I'm going to pick up some serious speed.

The yarn is Dream in Color Classy in Spring Tickle. Very nice yarn, great to work with.

This is destined to be a shop sample, but I'm dying to try it on. Based on some feedback about the Karaoke, I've decided it's not right for the Must Have Cardi, a bit too slubby and fuzzy. I need a really crisp yarn to really show off the cables. But it might be kind of wonderful for my own February Lady Sweater.

It's nice to have the luxury of trying something on before I make it for myself. I can really examine and tweak the style and fit. Assuming I can stand to work another raglan garter yoke in the short term...

1 comment:

Kirsten N. said...

I am also knitting a top-down raglan at the moment - and it certainly was tedious doing the 300 stitches per round, even in stockinette! Fortunately I'm into the body now, and the sleeves will be even quicker. Although, since it has gotten too big to take on the subway, it won't be done that quickly.

I was thinking about you over the holidays, as after the hats were done, I struggled for quite a while to come up with a Mobius technique I liked - I didn't want to knit flat and sew or graft it together, or pick up stitches, because that felt like cheating. I eventually came up with a technique using a provisional cast-on that I quite liked, so now I'm experimenting with it a bit.