Friday, May 17, 2013

'Magic Socks' Online Class: Learn the War & Peace method in the comfort of your own home!

I'm thrilled to announce the launch of my first online video class - "Magic Socks" with Annie's. This sock teaches you the secrets of working two socks at once, using the double knitting method, also known as the "War and Peace" method. It's so-called, is it's mentioned - somewhat oddly, in passing - in his masterwork novel, War and Peace.


If you've ever wanted to learn the War and Peace method of making 2 socks at once, but were a little intimidated - this class is for you!

If you've ever wanted to take one of my classes in person but haven't been able to - this class is for you!

If you want to be able to rewatch my lessons over and over again - this class is for you!

Join me as I explain and demonstrate this seemingly magical technique step-by-step using two different colours of yarn so you can see exactly how to knit each separate sock on the same needles. As is my way, instructions are given for double-point needles, magic loop and 2 circular needles.

To make the project a little more manageable and accessible for online learning, we're using DK weight yarn, and it's a simplified sock construction, with a short-row heel and a simple star toe. Once you've mastered that, you'll be ready to tackle other versions, including the full-on fingering-weight gusseted-heel directional-decreases version!

This was my first experience doing a video class, and it was an enormous amount of fun. It was definitely challenging at times... where am I supposed to look? what was I saying? is there more coffee?... but I dearly love teaching, and I'm so happy that my classes can reach a broader audience.

The class is $24.95, and you can watch a free preview of the class at the website.

3 comments:

Lisa Noble said...

I fell in love with this idea, when I saw it in the first Interweave Knitting Traditions issues, and haven't been brave enough to try. This may be the push I need!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Every time you teach this class in my area I can't go, and I've wanted to take this class for over a year now.

Anonymous said...

lol - I thought I was the ONLY knitter who had the second sock come out at a different gauge after knitting the first. As soon as I received the email advertising this course, I signed up! I am so excited at the thought that finally both socks will be the same size.