Sunday, June 22, 2008

With Apologies to John Lennon

Socks are what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.

I've got a couple of design projects on the go, for which I've been swatching...

and knitting

and blocking...
There are deadlines on both, which mean that I'm working pretty hard on them... lots of focused knitting, at home, in the car, in public, the works.

But somehow, in the in between moments, I seem to have almost finished a pair of socks...


They're what I call emergency socks, in emergency sock yarn. Paton's Kroy 4-ply in the colourway "Paintbox". I bought it, on sale, at Michael's, in one of those "hey, you can never have enough sock yarn, I might need it someday" sort of moments.

And the socks themselves got started when I needed a car project, when neither of the design projects was at a car-appropriate stage. That is, when they needed attentive knitting.

And yes, somehow, they've got themselves just about finished. Socks are what happens to me when I'm busy making other projects...

On a different note, I've used this yarn before, and I do like it. It's well-priced, good quality, hard wearing, good old nylon and wool blend sock yarn. All the ones listed on the Patons' site seem to be 4-ply, but they used to make a finer, 3 ply variant. The 4-ply is nice, but the socks are thicker and I'm not sure they're as easily fitted in shoes. I do hope they haven't discontinued the 3-ply.

1 comment:

Sel and Poivre said...

I am fighting the exact same problem with sock yarn calling to me from the basement where its stored every time I approach my more demanding WIP's!