Sunday, January 29, 2006

Finishing & Knitting for Money

I've finished up the UFO commission. Fixed the front neckline, worked the top halves of the sleeves, assembled and knit the v-neck trim. Easy. And about 10 hours' work.

Doesn't photograph well, being a tweedy dark blue yarn, but you get the idea.

This is, as I mentioned, a paid gig. But what on earth do I charge? My usual hourly teaching rate would put this in the range of something designed by Burberry. And yes, I did take the time to weave in my ends, but that still doesn't mean it's worth that much.

The work was done for a friend of a very dear person in my life, so I'm happy to charge a sensible amount and keep the friendship, but holy cow is knitting-for-money an absurd proposition.

I get asked fairly often why I don't sell my work, my finished objects. I'm sure every knitter gets this question. I buy very good materials, and I'm a busy professional with two paid gigs. Even if I charged my lesser hourly rate, a simple pair of hand-knit socks would cost hundreds of dollars.

Sock yarn: $20
Hours to knit the socks: 10
Sitting on the couch with the dog watching Season 5 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Priceless

No comments: