Sunday, October 13, 2013

Thanksgiving, With Sock

I have very good friends, who don't mind if I knit when I'm at their house for a Thanksgiving dinner.


And then don't even mind when I put my feet on their coffee table...


And an evening's worth of a knitting results in a sock ready for toe decreases.


(We were stopped at a red light when I took this photo; I can't imagine it's safe to do this in a moving car.)

The yarn is Paton's Kroy, col 55614, "Burnished Sierra Stripes". I LOVE THIS YARN. Love how it feels, love how it knits up, love how it wears, and this particular colourway is fantastic. Don't let the fact that it's sold in "chain stores" put you off.

When I say I love how it feels, don't get me wrong: this isn't about softness. It's not luxury-yarn soft, no. It's got a good woolly but not scratchy feel to it, and good density, so it gives great stitch definition. (There's a separate longer discussion here, but softness in sock yarn can often mean fragility.) Think Cascade 220, that sort of feel. This yarn is incredibly hardwearing. If you've not tried it, I recommend it. Although ignore the needle size recommendation on the ball band - go with your usual 2.25/2.5/2.75mm.


2 comments:

LizFM said...

I agree on the Kroy sock! I wasn't crazy about it in the skein (I got the Jacquard), but the price was right and once I started to knit the sock I *loved* it!

I love the fabric that Kroy makes (I like a good dense sock fabric), and now that I've done a couple of different colors, I've learned that everyone else does to. I keep a sock on the needles for traveling and I've gotten more comments about how beautiful the knitting is when I've got them out, than any other traveling project I've ever done.

Unknown said...

The very first sock I ever knitted was your basic sock pattern with that very yarn :)