Wednesday, March 04, 2009

New Book Contribution; Socks for Norman


I'm pleased to announce that two of my designs have been featured in the new book "Tops and Toes"

I've got a nice simple pair of socks in a self-striping yarn, and then a pair of men's socks in what I think is rather a clever design.

I knit a lot of socks, and I have lot of leftover sock yarn. And I tend to end up with lots of bits of self-patterning yarn. They're hard to use up, but my "Fancy Fair Isle" design uses (what I think is) a nifty trick to allow you to play with them...

who says you have to work Fair Isle with solid colours?

As seen on Norman's feet, my Fancy Fair Isle socks... I worked the leg in stranded Fair Isle using the plain grey yarn and a self-patterning yarn. The resulting effect hits that sweet spot of coloured-not-too-much, interesting-but-not-too-much, and different-but-not-too-much that makes them fun but entirely wearable for even the most colour-adverse of men. (Because 90% of socks knitters agree that their male partners seem to only like plain dark socks....)

No comments: