Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Law and Order: Special Knitters Unit

It's no secret that I'm a TV knitter. I love knitting in front of the TV -- whether I'm watching The Daily Show, the news, Battlestar Galactica, or anything in the vein of a procedural mystery. If it's got a body and the police, I'll watch it.

Law & Order is great knitting TV, not only because there are seven million episodes to choose from, across the four associated series, but because they've got enough expository dialogue that you don't necessarily need to be actually watching to follow the story. "So, Doc, you're saying that this wound, here, in our victim... this gunshot wound... the one that killed him... this was caused by a gun?"

An episode of Law & Order: Criminal Intent I watched this weekend actually used knitting as a plot point. I nearly fell off my chair laughing. The mother of a suspect was sending notes to him while he was in jail, concealed in the underarms of sweaters she was knitting for him...

I don't know... it's hard enough to get a good fitting armhole and sleeve as it is without hiding jailhouse contraband in it.

No comments: