Thursday, July 03, 2008

Indeed, Socks Do Happen

I usually grab a handful of socks from my drawer when I'm heading out to teach a sock knitting class. I've been asked often enough how many pairs of hand-knitted socks I've got.

Since it's summer, and none of them are in the laundry, now's the time to get an accurate count.

16 pairs of socks -- all my own work -- are in regular circulation in my sock drawer.

Including the latest pair.

Yes, I'm in the tub.

I think I've already mentioned this before, but my foolproof method for blocking socks is to get them wet and then put them on. I don't actually leave them on -- just get 'em on and off and then let 'em dry. Easy.

The other night I was having a nice, soothing bath. And I had a pair of socks sitting on the counter in the bathroom, waiting to be blocked.

There I was, in the tub, looking at the socks. Hey, my feet were already wet -- why the heck not? A pair of perfectly blocked socks and a story my husband will be telling for years...

1 comment:

Sel and Poivre said...

Oh I dream of someday owning a whole drawer full of handknit socks! I'm working on it but I'm not there yet!

I love your blocking idea - Ravelry has its benefits but I only learn about ideas like that one on blogs!