Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Lace: Theorems, Corollaries and Lemmas


Things I have learnt...

  1. More repeats of pattern on a row are easier than fewer as you get a chance to get into the rhythm of a row.
  2. Stitch markers up the wazoo.
  3. Spend more time that you imagine possible examining your work to make sure you're ok. Particularly before you feed a lifeline.
  4. Feed a lifeline every pattern repeat or two.
  5. I've said this before, but for the love of god make sure that when you feed a lifeline it's into a row that is in itself correct. And that the rows below the lifeline are also correct.
  6. Before you begin a set of pattern stitches -- between two markers, of course -- count the stitches you're about to work. A corollary to that is that a missing YO is easily fixed on the next right side row.

I have to say I think I'm getting the hang of it. I've made more progress in the last few evenings, even watching really exciting television, that I'd made in the first couple of weeks.

But I guess the biggest thing to get used to with lace is that ripping back is not an extraodinary measure. Ripping back is the way of things. You'll do it a lot.

No comments: