Thursday, December 12, 2013

Thrumming?

Many sensible knitters have suggested I try thrummed mittens for warmth. I've got a Fleece Artist kit for a pair of thrummed socks - I'm sure I could make a pair of mittens out of it:



I tried making a thrummed sock once, years ago, but fell down due to poor instructions. I didn't really know how to make the thrum - how much roving to use, how to secure it to the stitch. The resulting socks weren't nearly insulted or insulating enough.

Can you point me to any good instructions for thrumming?  Thanks!

7 comments:

Sue F said...

I still haven't recovered from (gotten over?) the thrummed mittens I had as a child. The thrums felted into lumpy bumpy messes.

If I were going to do a pair of thrummed mitts, I would use pencil roving (very thin roving) and run it along like a second colour.

Full coverage thrums. Even felting. I hope.


Sue

Irene said...

http://tanisfiberarts.blogspot.ca/2012/11/free-pattern-thrummed-mitts.html

Try this

Rich said...

I found the Yarn Harlot tutorial.

http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/thrumfaq.html

Etcgirl said...

Come see me. :) most first-thummers make the thrums too big. Pull fiber apart for width first - pencil width. Then draft the fiber a little for length to open it up. Separate into 4-5 inch lengths. Apply a little twist to the short fiber bits as you knit them in. A good tip - a thrum, twisted, should be no thicker than the wool you're using.

ypsiknitti said...

Interweave knits had instructions about a year (or two)ago. I haven't tried the directions so can't vouch for them.

cinnymom said...

Hi Kate! Marly Bird's Craftsy class on mittens has a thrumming section. Best I've seen so far.

tack said...

Helloyarn Adrian's tutorial is my favorite:
http://www.helloyarn.com/how-i-thrum/