Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sock Yarn Leftovers


I've just finished a pair of Socks in Colinette Jitterbug, which I bought on a trip to the UK a few years ago. I love this yarn - thick and smooshy, with lovely vivid colours - I used it for the Vampire Boyfriend socks. I have found it's best handwashed - it seems to felt a little with machine washing.

And, once again, I'm confronted with the question of what to do with the leftovers. Having smaller-than-average feet, I always end up with a fair quantity leftover from a skein of sock yarn.

Inspired by recent conversations with my two crochet fairy godmothers, Jennifer and Tamara, and a long-ago conversation with Sarah, I have finally decided what to do with them... a giant crochet granny square blanket.

Sarah's (in the above picture) is seriously great...

This is mine so far... I've got a way to go....


But I've got the yarn all lined up and ready...


2 comments:

Catherine said...

that's such a great idea, I have big feet so I tend to use nearly all the yarn, but I wonder if you have ever come across this sock knitter (a 60something grandfather) and what he does with his left over sock yarn

http://www.blipfoto.com/entry/845665

the treat girl said...

Hi, I just wanted to thank you VERY much for sharing your basic ribbed sock pattern it is GREAT!!! I am only on my second pair, but I've noticed already how I have leftover yarn and was wondering what I was going to do with it?? This is crazy...but I was wanting to learn how to make Granny Squares this past summer to use up some of my other leftovers.....now I REALLY need to learn how to make them for my sock yarn leftovers too!! Thanks again, Hilda...I'm officially hooked on knitting socks. Check out my little blog, I included a link to your sock pattern :)