A long-time student and knitting friend of mine, the lovely J., shares with us a cautionary tale.
She was on a very crowded streetcar on the way home from work, as always, with a sock project. In the shuffle to disembark, her knitting bag was pushed against her, and one of her wooden sock needles stuck her in the leg.
Although it stung, she didn't worry too much about it at the time, and upon inspection, it hadn't bled.
The next day, her leg was feeling sore, and looking bruised and swollen around the injury site. And over the next few days, it got more and more sore, and more and more swollen, necessitating a trip to the emergency room. A tetanus shot and a big box of antibiotics later, she's feeling much better, I'm pleased to report.
The doctors say that it was likely a combination of factors: the needle unluckily hit a vein, and some opportunistic bacteria took advantage.
Still, lesson learned - a needle spike shouldn't be ignored.