Thursday, February 10, 2011

Found! The Mary Maxim Pattern Book


I've blogged here a couple of times about vintage Mary Maxim sweater patterns. I've been lucky enough to receive copies of original Mary Maxim patterns in collections of old patterns I've been given.

Mary Maxim sweaters are also known as curling sweaters. They are designs based on, inspired by the traditional "Cowichan" sweaters of the Pacific Northwest, big bulky knitted jackets with motifs on the back. Classic motifs include wildlife, hockey players, tractors, that sort of thing. They were hugely popular as both knitting projects and fashion items in the 1950s and 1960s.

There must be a magic combination of Google words that brings people to my site, because at least once a month I get an email asking where to find patterns, or if I'd be willing to sell one of the ones I have.

Not willing to sell one, sorry - but I have a better solution.

Mary Maxim, has recently published a pattern book with a selection of their designs, including the very first one.

If you're looking for a "curling sweater" pattern, this is the book you need.

You can order it here.

7 comments:

Laura Nelkin said...

Oh my goodness, I really do think my hubby needs that hockey player sweater, though I am afraid he'll have to find another wife first to knit it for him :) !!!!

Sandra said...

Funny - I was tidying up some stacks of patterns, etc., and came across taht very book! zI ended up sitting down and figuring out which one I wanted to make...

Catherine said...

I'm quite sure the eagle would be right for my OH but am not sure he would feel the same!

Isabelle said...

I have been hunting around for an eternity for just this thing - even on the Mary Maxim site itself!
Thank you, thank you!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it was Mary Maxim who published it but the most popular sweater when I worked in a wool shop was the one with the person curling on it. Do people still curl in Canada?

Anonymous said...

Speaking as a Canadian and a curler, yes, we most definitely do still curl in Canada. :-)

Anonymous said...

Does any one know of an infant or toddler sweater. two of my curling friends are expecting and thought I thought it would be a nice baby gift.