Thursday, March 19, 2009

Lots of Sock Knitting Going On


A pair in Araucania Ranco. It was nice to work with, and it looks great, but a couple of key notes. The ball band lies something awful about the gauge... they claim 24 sts/4 inches. It's absolutely fingering weight, closer to 30 sts. And I've noticed it felted a teeny bit on machine washing. So they've gone in the pile of socks that need to be handwashed... along with the Noro Kureyon socks, the Jitterbug socks, and the Midnight Sky Silver socks.

This other pair will NEVER need hand washing, as they are good old classic 75% superwash wool, 25% nylon mass-produced sock yarn. The tweedy portion is Scheepjes Invicta Extra sock yarn. Love it. The black is Paton's Kroy (4-ply, sniff).


I bought a single 50gm ball - bargain bit somewhere, if memory serves -- which isn't quite enough for a pair. So I did my usual trick of contrasting ribbing, heels and toes. And I actually prefer how it looks. I think the sock would be less attractive without the framing provided by the black details.

No comments: