Monday, March 24, 2008

FO: Feeling Kerchief

This is the one-skein luxury kerchief design worked in a lovely, springy shade of green Needful Feeling. The yarn is delicious -- a wool/silk/cashmere blend.

I had a single ball of it in my stash -- it was left over from a swatching exercise for some technical editing I'm doing -- and I couldn't let it go to waste. It's about 140m of a DK weight, and I get a scarf about 130 cm/50 ins wide and 30 cm/12 ins long after a light blocking. (Where "light blocking" means handwash in the sink, roll out in a towel, stretch it out a bit and leave it to dry overnight draped casually over the railing above the stairs.)

The idea behind the design -- other than making the most of a luxurious and perhaps budget-busting yarn -- was a light scarf to go with spring coats. Because we're lying to ourselves here in Canada if we think we won't need to wear scarves for a while longer.

It was also, frankly, a nice break from a lot of the other knitting I'm doing. I'm doing stuff for a book, and for some technical editing, and working on a design of my own, and I needed a change.

A quickie one-skein project was just the thing I needed. Far be it from me to complain about knitting as work, but sometimes it's hard to stay focused on a project that you're not really enjoying knitting. I just finished up something that's great, that turned out really well, but I wasn't a fan of the yarn colour that had been chosen, and that was a surprising barrier for me.

Hence a cheerful green scarf that I'll likely never wear -- but hey, I didn't pay for the yarn and it's not like it was hours and hours of work.

No comments: