Monday, February 26, 2007
The Matador Variation
Quick 'n' easy 'n' enormously gratifying.... the Matador bolero from last fall's Interweave Knitscene mag.
Not content to leave well enough alone, I used Needful Van Dyck rather than the recommended yarn, and I messed with the edging...
The original pattern calls for garter edging for the fronts. Frankly, I felt like it was fighting with the eyelet detail on the raglan when I did it up in the plainer yarn. Garter to me is a rougher, more organic stitch, and eyelets require something a bit finer. Well, ok "finer" is relative here, we're still talking about a fairly "rough" yarn (in a good way), very chunky, and a seriously casual design.
I used a 4 stitch k1 p1 ribbing for the front edging, and it works tremendously well in this context. It doesn't look ribbed, as it pulls in -- which also means that it lies flat rather than curling. Very happy with how it turned out.
And no buttonhole, I just jam the button through a hole in the knitting.
Plus plain black provides a nice sartorial contrast to all the Noro I've been working with. Anyone who knows me well knows that I don't wear more than one colour at the same time -- with the exception of Noro products -- so a black bolero will look great over coloured tshirts in the spring. (You know, those days when I want to to be warmer than it actually is!)
(Squint hard at the picture and you should be able to make it out. I'll take a picture with a different tshirt in the near future.)
Posted by Kate at 8:06 pm