Monday, September 04, 2006

Estimating yardage, part two

So I'm working a lace shawl design. (!!!)

It's worked from the tip up. I'm trying to keep it to 3 balls of the particular yarn I'm working with, and I feel like I'm playing chicken.

I've got this much yarn left. ...
I need to work a knit row, an eyelet row, 5 or 6 garter rows and a cast off - and I'm at 175 stitiches. I'm really not confident I have enough.

It's a delicate balance -- maximum use of yarn. I personally hate a pattern that makes me buy 3 balls and barely uses the third. But if I pull it back a full 10-row repeat, there's going to be a fair bit of yarn left over, I fear.

Oh well, I'll just have to keep working and keep my fingers crossed. .

1 comment:

denny Mcmillan said...

oh my don't cross your fingers and try to knit at the same time, you bound to screw up.

Go see Erin's blog and tell me thats the uglist colorway going.(her dead clown socks.) Is it just me?